Lee Weichen Bio
The main founding aims of the bank were to promoting closeness and economic co-operation between China and Japan, and also a financial structure for small-to medium-sized industries in South China and the South Pacific region. Strongholds were established in Guangdong (廣東), Singapore, Semarang (present-day northern Java, Indonesia), Sai Kung (present-day Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), Hai Phong, and Lan Gong (present-day Yangon, Myanmar).
After being founded, it faced a poor economic situation after the First World War, and in 1927 (2nd year of Sh?wa Emperor) the 1927 financial panic broke out. Operations did not go smoothly, and 20% of the bank's operating capital was lost. In March, the bank received special circulation on the basis of the Taiwanese Finance Law (臺灣融資法), and after managing non-performing assets by remittance of debt, and receiving the support of the Bank of Taiwan (臺灣銀行), performance gradually improved. After the Incident of July 7 (七七事變) broke out in 1937, the bank's area of operations had increased in the wake of the Japanese military advance-the bank provided bills of exchange and deposit for the convenience of the military. Later, after the Japanese military was squeezed, the bank gradually closed their overseas operating areas, and moved their center of operations to Taiwan.
After the Second World War, the Taiwan Province Administrative Governor (臺灣省行政長官公署) ordered Ju Jingzhou (瞿荊州) to take up the position of Head of the Governing Board of the “Hua Nan Incorporated Bank,” and a supervised phase began. In October 1946, the Hua Nan Bank Preparatory Office was founded, presided over by Lin Hsiungcheng. As the Preparatory Office continued to run, it also received all of the assets of the “Hua Nan Incorporated Bank”, of which the Taiwanese part consisted of the Headquarters in Taipei, and 5 “branches” in Dadaocheng (大稻埕), Danshui (淡水), Taoyuan (桃園), Nantou (南投) City, Kaohsiung (高雄). On the 22nd of February, 1947, a founding stickholders meeting was held for “Hua Nan Bank,” with a total capital of 15 million yuan. Liu Qiguang (劉啟光) was named CEO, and the bank officially opened for business on the 1st of March. The bank headquarters moved to the old address of the San Wa Bank (三和銀行), South Zhongqing Road (重慶南路) in Taipei. In May 1947, it merged with the Taiwan Investment Trust Company, adding trusts into its area of operations. After undergoing inflation and monetary reform, total capital was adjusted to 3 million New Taiwanese Dollars. As to its capital structure, government stockholders (including the Bank of Taiwan, and Taiwan Provincial Government, among others), held 52.98% of the stocks, and private investors 47.02%. Together with the Chang Hwa Bank (彰化銀行), and the First Bank (第一銀行) were called “the Three Comercial Banks (三商銀).”
The bank mainly served commercial depositors, and as the three comercial banks executed the government's policy of assisting small and medium-sized companies, Hua Nan Bank often also dealt with emergency loans to private companies. In January 1998, officially-owned stocks were released, and the bank became entirely privately- administered. In November 2001, it exchanged stocks with the Yongchang Entrust Securities (永昌綜合證券) Co., Ltd, transforming into “Hua Nan Financial Holdings ( 華南金融控股) Co., Ltd.”, and the Hua Nan Bank became a dependent company of the Hua Nan Financial Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Bank of Taiwan. (1919). Tai wan yin hang er shi nian zhi [臺灣銀行二十年誌]. Taipei: Bank of Taiwan.
- Kisaku, Nagura. (1939). 臺灣銀行四十年誌. Tokyo: Author.
- 臺灣總督府財務局金融課(Ed.). (1930、1939). 臺灣の金融. Taipei: 臺灣總督府財務局金融課.
- Taiwan Governor-General Office(=Taiwan Sotokufu) (Ed.). (1945). 台湾统治概要. Taipei: SMC Publishing.
- Economic Research Department, Bank of Taiwan. (1953). Tai wan jin rong shi liao [臺灣金融史料]. Taipei: Bank of Taiwan.
- Hua Nan Bank. Retrieved from http://www.hncb.com.tw
- Yan, Junbao. (1991). Tai wan di qu yin hang fa zhan 40 nian [臺灣地區銀行發展40年]. Taipei: China Credit Information Service.
- Lai, Injaw. (1997). Tai wan jin rong ban tu zhi hui gu yu qian zhan [臺灣金融版圖之回顧與前瞻]. Taipei: Linking Publishing Company.